More than 100 Europe-bound migrants are feared dead in a shipwreck off Libya, independent rescue groups said.
SOS Mediterranee, which operates the rescue vessel Ocean Viking, said late Thursday that the wreck of a rubber boat, which was initially carrying around 130 people, was spotted in the Mediterranean Sea northeast of the Libyan capital, Tripoli.
The aid vessel did not find any survivors, but could see at least ten bodies near the wreck, the group added in a statement.
The rescue ship Ocean Viking released video Friday of an overturned dinghy off the coast of Libya with corpses floating in the water around it.
A statement from SOS Mediterranee said that they had been alerted to three boats in distress but they were about 10 hours away.
When they arrived on the scene of the shipwreck, they found an overturned dinghy and “at least 10 bodies in the vicinity of the wreck.”
The European humanitarian organization added that more than 350 people have drowned in the sea so far this year, not counting the victims of this latest shipwreck.
News Source: Republic World