Borewell water led to child’s death at labour camp: PCMC

Borewell water led to child’s death at labour camp: PCMC

The four-year-old girl from Dudulgaon labour camp who died due to cholera at Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial Hospital (YCMH) a couple of days ago had consumed contaminated water from a borewell, claims Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Coporation (PCMC). The local body had collected samples from the drinking water line from the labour camp and nearby areas, which were found to be safe . However, the labourers at the site were consuming a mix of water from PCMC water line and borewell water, which was not safe, said the PCMC officials.

The deceased, Bhavika Verma was reportedly brought dead to YCMH on Sunday and suffered from severe dehydration with shock, resulting in cholera. Six other children from the labour camp were also admitted to the hospital. According to the officials, a total of 18 people, mostly minors, felt ill after drinking the water.

PCMC water department officials claim an illegal connection for drinking water was taken by the builder at the camp. The water from the PCMC line and borewell were both connected to water tank from which everyone at the camp was drinking water . PCMC has issues notice to Vinod Patel, the builder, and disconnected the illegal water connection.


News Source: Pune Mirror

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.